Monday, July 9, 2007

One at a time...

Dr. Topicalsteroid, one of our local dermatologists, has the GALL to refuse to see patients for more than one issue at a time. I'll send a patient to be evaluated for a rash, and while she is there she'll ask him to look at a mole on her arm. "You'll have to schedule another appointment" is the reply.

Really?

The average dermatologist makes well over $200K, almost twice what primary care does. Do they really need to milk patients too?

If primary care started playing this game, you wouldn't be able to hear your iPod over the screeching halt of the American medical system.


Dr. Smak: Well, Mr. Smith, your blood pressure looks like it's doing great. Let's set up your appointment tomorrow for your diabetes checkup.

Mr. Smith: But Dr. Smak, what about my knee pain?

Dr. Smak: Oh, I forgot. Let's do your left knee tomorrow, your right knee Thursday, and we'll talk about your sugar next week.


Yeah. That will work well.


Every time I see a patient for a chronic checkup I handle the problems at hand, review vaccinations, bloodwork, health maintenance items like mammograms and colonoscopies, and usually fit in whatever else ails 'em, like the new mole, the aching shoulder, or the sinus symptoms. About twice a month I'll see a patient who hits me up for too many issues, and I'll have to schedule a second visit to fit it all in.

And you can't look at a freakin' mole?

1 comment:

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

Good family doctors rock, what can I say. I'm always amazed at how they can deal with three or four problems, all of which are involving different systems, in one visit.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a HUGE Dave Matthews fan as well :)