Friday, August 31, 2007

Bug, flower, pitty-pat

The alternative names that parents use to refer to their prepubescent daughter's genitals never cease to amaze me.

That said, I'm not sure what to suggest.

With my kids we always called it a vagina. It seemed a bit torturous to try to get my 3 year old daughters to identify the multitude of distinct areas on the female anatomy. "Mommy, my labia majora itch" doesn't roll off the tongue. But calling the entire thing a vagina is less than accurate.

So I get a chuckle out of the dads that come in saying "She's got bumps on her bug."

I knew what he was talking about. She knew what he was talking about. Is calling it a "buh-gina" any better?

Maybe I should have gone with pitty-pat...


Femail doc said...

Adult woman often just go with "down there." One woman came in complaining of irritation down there. Indeed she was. Cause? She was using Lysol to keep down there clean.

Anonymous said...

Here in the South it's "tu-tu."

rlbates said...

My adult female patients have amazing names for their mons pubis--pocketbook, kitty, etc. It continues to amaze me!

Anonymous said...

I've also heard it called "ta-ta."

Dr. Smak said...

Yikes - lysol?

I've heard tu-tu, ta-ta, but pocketbook is a new one for me.