Monday, September 17, 2007

My, what long skinny fingers you have!

French surgeons piloted a transvaginal gallbladder removal.

Somehow that doesn't seem like it should be possible.

When doctors examine patients, especially those whom we don't know well, it can be very helpful to read the "roadmap" of scars on the chest and abdomen. A lot of patients amazingly forget to mention that they may have had an organ removed, even when asked explicity.

Begin dream sequence:

Future Dr. Smak: OK, Mrs. Jones, please try to relax your legs while I do your pap smear. Oh, what's this scar?

Mrs. Jones: The one on the right side was my transvaginal cholecystectomy, the left side was my splenectomy, and the big one in the middle my transvaginal hysterectomy.


Weird...

5 comments:

Rob said...

Disturbing. Will they soon come up with a transvaginal tonsillectomy? What about combining a colonoscopy and dentistry?

Or you could do an EGD and fix the hemorrhoids while you are at it.

Yikes. I don't like to think on that too long.

Vijay said...

Rob: I agree this is disturbing. I think this whole think started with some idiot trying to think out of the box or out of the EGD scope rather.

Dr. Smak: I liked your line about 'road map of scars.' It's so important for a radiologist doing an abdominal ultrasound scan. I don't have to spend 10 minutes searching for a removed gall bladder that the patient forgot to mention.

Vijay said...

Sorry. The second 'think' should've been 'thing'

Eric, AKA The Pragmatic Caregiver said...

Yet another case of doing something because you *can*, not because it's a good idea.

I'm personally waiting for the transrectal bilateral cingulotomy.

E

Bruce said...

The Japanese have published a series of transaxillary thyroidectomies.

Sometimes, I think there should be a Journal of Ridiculous Surgery.