Sunday, September 21, 2008
Dr. Smak's Bucket List
I'm not getting any younger. Mortality dances in front of me on a routine basis, whether at home or at work. While I'd love to plan on doing fun and fabulous things in my retirement, I don't want to live waiting for that grand event. There sure aren't any guarantees I'm going to get there. So, without further ado, my bucket list. (I'm adding it as as new sidebar, and will add to it periodically as things come up. I'm deleting my nightstand, since knitting continues to gobble up the scarce free time I have. I'll read a book again in a few years.)
1. See the aurora borealis. Or, as a dear relative once coined, the areola borealis. In her defense, it was after a glass of wine.
2. Take a super fabulous grown-up vacation with Mr. Smak. We started marriage penniless, and pretty quickly started making Smaklings, so this one has eluded me thus far. I'm talking 2 weeks, no responsibilities, food, drinks, travel, sightseeing, foreign countries. Right now I'm thinking Mediterranean, but the details are unimportant and subject to change. (Fodder for another post, but after you have kids do you ever really have no responsibilities? Did we miss our chance?)
3. Become a certified Master Gardener.
4. Learn to speak another language. Not great, but at least passable.
5. Drive across this big and beautiful country in an RV with Mr. and Smaklings. I'm hoping to hit the right age, where everyone is in the range of pretty self-sufficient but before teenage attitude kicks in. I think this is the one that has the real time constraints on it. I've never seen the Grand Canyon, and I'd love to do it with my kids.
6. Learn to make a kick-ass pie crust. "Kick-ass" is per my own standards. If I never ate another piece of cake in my life I'd be fine, but a crisp, flaky, buttery pie crust is about as good as it gets.
In general, I don't make pies, as the crusts aren't up to my standards. But the whole point of a bucket list is that there is no time like the present to start, so tonight middle Smakling and I practiced on some apple dumplings. They look prettier in real life than the photo. I can't wait to taste them tonite!