Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hopf Schwietz


I'm certain I spelled that wrong. My interpretation of how to spell "GO SWITZERLAND" in Swiss-German.

I heard it 1400 times in one night, at the Switzerland/Greece World qualifying soccer match in Basel Switzerland 12 days ago. Mr. Smak and I were there, with brauts, beers, and our bucket list.

It was pretty cool. The Europeans sure like their soccer, er...football. There was a swiss flag on every stadium seat when we got there, pretty cool effect when they finally scored. Sorry for the crappy picture, not sure why it is so bad.

Our vacation, just the two of us, definitely counted as grown up. Lots of hiking in the Swiss Alps, a couple of nights in Paris, and very sore feet (walking) and bottoms (biking).

It might have been too soon, too early, but it's hard to say. We missed the girls terribly (thanks, SOCKS).

In a weird way, I was surprised to find that when we got home Henry still wasn't here. Of course, I didn't expect him to be, but I had such joy and relief at seeing the girls, and it highlighted his absence. Our first morning back was hard, but I'm feeling more settled already.

11 comments:

rlbates said...

Glad you had a great trip. {{{hugs}}}

...tom... said...

...
In a weird way, I was surprised to find that when we got home Henry still wasn't here. Of course, I didn't expect him to be, but I had such joy and relief at seeing the girls, and it highlighted his absence.

...reservedlol...

It is good that you can (seemingly, almost) joke about it. I am sure it was indeed fun to be home ...and not still on vacation at the same time.


Hey, the real reason I came here: make sure you check out PBS.org and Tavis Smiley's interview with...

. . .wait for it

.

.

Dave Matthews..!! Twenty minutes of Dave..!! He talks about his own and his band's recent loss. And other stuff...

Good stuff, even with the 'heaviness' of some of it...

(Tavis Smiley and his support by Wal-Mart may be the _only_ reason I do not totally hate Wal-Mart...)


Hey, welcome back.


...tom...
.

...tom... said...

...
"Sorry for the crappy picture, not sure why it is so bad."

By the way (and you do not have to publish this one...)

. . .classic FAIL on that photo..!!


And I only say that because I have so many classic photo-FAIL moments of my own..!!


...tom...
.

Dr. Smak said...

Tom,

I'll try to put in some better photos of the trip soon, that I won't have to apologize for.

And you have my full permission to hate Walmart. Thanks for the Dave tip, haven't seen that one yet!

Smak

Snickollet said...

Glad you were able to get away and have a nice trip.

I've been struck with the urge to call John a lot lately. I'll hear some news and think, "I can't wait to tell John that! I *must* call him!" Reminds me of how you felt upon arriving home and not finding Henry.

Peace.

socks said...

To me, no offense intended, the picture looks like a dish of bruschetta with a ring snake weaving through it. Maybe it's the martini talking . . .???

socks said...

An after thought, Dave Matthews in on Ellen's show tomorrow.

A Doc 2 Be said...

So very happy you enjoyed your trip and your happy reunion with your girls!

/hugs

...tom... said...

...

hey there DS...


Dave Matthews Band is in town tonight at the local Triple-A baseball park.

Unfortunately . . . ...tom... will not be there.

. . . ...:frowniemoment:...


...tom...

Katerina said...

Dr. Smak, (I'm fairly new here - hello!), I'm glad you had a good trip. We Europeans take soccer waaaaay too seriously.

Just wanted to say that I have read your and Henry's story and am very moved by your grace and poignant prose. Wish there was something I could do or say to make your load lighter but your family and friends will have to do that, and I know they will. Anyway, you are often in my thoughts. I'd almost say "god bless" except, like you, I'm agnostic. Bother!

AngelMc said...

i'm glad you had a good time.